Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Scott's Prospectus

I have decided to switch my topic. The more I thought about it, the more I decided that I didn’t want to write about racism. I have decided to write about the effects of sleep on students. I am going to argue that students need to get more sleep. Sleep has many physiological effects, and teens are some of the most affected. Recent studies show that teens are the most sleep deprived group in society. Sleep doesn’t only affect academic performance; it affects almost every aspect of life. Teens have more sleep related driving accidents than any other group.
I am going to argue that teens need to get more sleep. Doctors, researchers, and parents have all told teens that they need to get more sleep. Sleep affects a person’s information processing, memory deficits, attitude, and ability to carry out complicated jobs. This seriously affects a person’s academic performance. When a student doesn’t get enough sleep, their work suffers. Grades go down, attention waivers, and they miss things from falling asleep. Experts are trying to get schools to start later to allow students to get more sleep.
Most people think that as a person gets older, they need less sleep. This is not true, because as teens move through their teen years, they need increasing amounts of sleep. The recommended amount of sleep to avoid sleep deprivation’s affects is nine hours.

No comments: