Sunday, November 16, 2008

Laura's Research Paper Topic

In my research paper, I would like to explore what marriage means to us as a society today. I would like to discuss different view points: religious, governmental, heterosexual, homosexual. What does it mean to be "married"? Does this mean a ceremony in a church or signing a piece of paper at a government building? What are the results of living together before a couple is married? What about homosexual couples who live together and really can't get "married"? I think its relevance to the course should be pretty obvious: it reflects religious, cultural, and political environments of today. I think it is important to explore these topics because I think the answers are not so easy, but are important to understand.

Are there thoughts about this? Is it too broad? (I was initially going to limit myself to discussing how living together before marriage effects the outcome of the relationship, but I feel like that is too narrow for a ten page research paper.)

No comments: