Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Internet and Psychological Health

For my research paper, i would like to analyze the effect that the internet has had on the psychological health of society. I will make the argument that it has a negative impact on mental well-being. I would like to discuss a variety of current events and situations throughout my paper. Recent issues such as cyber-bullying, online communities that promote hate, predators, gossip sites such as juicycampus.com, and YouTube videos that give harmful instructions have all had a negative impact on psychological health. The internet allows people to have anonymity, but does this put them at risk because they are less likely to seek help when they are feeling vulnerable? It allows them to be isolated from others, which can be detrimental to their psychological well-being as the internet begins to replace human contact.

Any related issues or ideas for refocusing the thesis are welcome!

1 comment:

Ryan Goellner said...

I know I don't have a topic yet, Kari, but my first reaction is that the one you posted is very broad. It seems that you could study the internet just in relation to college, or just in relation to bullying, or just in relation to depression (i.e. on eof the sub-topics you mentioned). Perhaps it would be better to focus on a slightly smaller investigation.