Thursday, October 30, 2008

Because my religion says so...

GOD WILLS IT! This phrase along with many others like it have been spoken throughout history as a means of justification for peoples actions. People have always used religion as a reason for what they do, why they believe one thing over another, and to influence others. Whether or not there is legitimacy behind using religion as justification will be disputed until religion ceases to exist on Earth.

People have used religious reasoning for both positive and negative actions in every corner of the world. Crusaders used the line "God Wills It" as a reasoning for their actions against others throughout the crusade. It seems inappropriate to allow religion to be used as such a tool to justify the hurting of others. So therefore should we not accept religious reasoning in fear that it would be used to harm others?

While on the other hand we have examples such as Mother Teresa who's actions to help others were spurred by religious reasoning as well. Of course it is completely acceptable to allow someone to use religious reasoning if they are helping to care for the less fortunate, right?

Then we have unusual cases such as that of Muhammad Ali; who used his religion as a reasoning to not participate after being drafted for Vietnam. I understand that he wouldn't want to have to go to war, I wouldn't either, but as a citizen of the United States shouldn't he be required to serve. If not then why isn't everyone giving a religious justification for not participating. Yes, the US is known for its religious freedom but doesn't this under mind the US by saying that one persons religion is above our laws?

Ideally most of us would probably say that its O.K. to use religion as a justification to help others, while disapproving using religion to justify negative acts against others, but the world doesn't work like that. So I have two questions for you.
1. Does religious justification sit above the laws of the country that we live in?
2. If you had to choose one way or the other would you A) Accept the continued use of religion as a justification for BOTH positive and negative uses; or B) No longer accept religion as a justification for either and see what else motivates peoples actions.

I'll be the first to answer my questions.
1. As much as I would not wish to be or wish upon anyone else to be drafted I would accept that I am required to serve the country whether I like it or not. I think that if you allow people to begin to use religion as an excuse then the government would ultimately become a puppet of religion. Once one religion is on top the idea of religious freedom would probably begin to disappear and replaced with the top religions beliefs.
2. I would choose for religion as justification to be done away with. Let people give their other reasons for the actions that they perform whether good or bad. Religion shouldn't be used as a shield to hide behind when you can not give better reasons for your actions.

2 comments:

Laura Wallace said...

1. I don't think that anyone who doesn't want to serve their country should be forced to, although I realize that sometimes drafts are neccessary. I think that religion should be a very important factor. However, I would like to point out that it is very difficult to just get out of the draft for religious reasons. You have to be able to show some real proof, which is extremely difficult. Also, Muhammad Ali served jailtime for escaping the draft, so its not like he was excused for not serving. He made the choice and dealt with the consequences. Also, I would argue that our government is already a puppet as religion, seeing as our laws are based on the Christian tradition, both almost every President has been a WASP (although there have been a few Catholic exceptions), and both candidates running for president are Protestant, and it matters to the public...remember how freaked out people got when they thought Obama might have been a Muslim? Also, if you recall, Bush made a movie called "Faith in the White House." In addition, when are our school breaks?...around Christian Holidays. However, it isn't just Christianity that rules our government: There are new laws that force employers and teachers to allow Muslims time to pray throughout their day. I'm definitely not saying that that is a bad thing...I think it is really good. However, I think anyone who is arguing that our government is separated from religion is not really looking at the situation.

2. I feel like if you have to justify your actions, God probably didn't will them because they result in wrong-doing. With good actions, God's love shines through, but I have a hard time believing things like that God sent us into Iraq. I think that religion can be a very powerful positive motivator for people, and therefore I wouldn't want to do away with it and I feel like if people are motivated by their faith, they should be able to say so. I just feel like relgion doesn't justify evil actions.

Ryan Goellner said...

As far as number 1 goes, you can call me conservative, narrow-minded, a bad person, or even treasonous, but I am a Catholic first and a U.S. citizen second. As a faithful Catholic, if I think the U.S. has an unjust or immoral law, I will work to overturn it. And yes, I am imposing morality in that case. For the record, sometimes all this wishy-washy garbage irritates me because people will dismiss me as authoritarian or attempting to impose my beliefs on everyone and not have a fruitful discussion about right and wrong. But I am not trying to run every aspect of everyone's life; I am merely trying to work towards my vision of society as formed by my faith. And I will always work within the context of our current government system in order to achieve my vision.


2.) I would keep religious justification for both sides because I think religion is more frequently used for good and will be used for even more good in the future. I'm an optimist. However, I look on in bewilderment because I read in your response, Tyler, "Let people give their other reasons for the actions that they perform whether good or bad. Religion shouldn't be used as a shield to hide behind when you can not give better reasons for your actions." I use religion as my reason for my actions, but what would be these "other reasons" of which you speak? What are your reasons? From where do you draw your morality? How does one even know what is a "positive" or "negative" effect on someone? It's very easy to criticize, but it can be considerably harder to be constructive. I pose this question for anyone who does not draw his or her code of conduct from some religion, faith, or religious context: How do you know how to act?